The Purpose of Scouting
Scouting exists to actively engage and support young people in their personal development, empowering them to make a positive contribution to society.
The Values of Scouting
As Scouts we are guided by these values:
Integrity – We act with integrity; we are honest, trustworthy and loyal.
Respect – We have self-respect and respect for others.
Care – We support others and take care of the world in which we live.
Belief – We explore our faiths, beliefs and attitudes.
Co-operation – We make a positive difference; we co-operate with others and make friends.
The Scout Method
Scouting takes place when young people, in partnership with adults, work together based on the values of Scouting and:
– enjoy what they are doing and have fun
– take part in activities indoors and outdoors
– learn by doing
– share in spiritual reflection
– take responsibility and make choices
– undertake new and challenging activities
– make and live by their Promise.
The Scout Promise (for Scouts, Explorer Scouts, the Scout Network and adults)
On my honour, I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to God and to The Queen, to help other people and to keep the Scout Law.
The Scout Law
1. A Scout is to be trusted.
2. A Scout is loyal.
3. A Scout is friendly and considerate.
4. A Scout belongs to the world-wide family of Scouts.
5. A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
6. A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.
7. A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.
The Cub Scout Promise
I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to God and to The Queen, to help other people and to keep the Cub Scout Law.
The Cub Scout Law
Cub Scouts always do their best, think of others before themselves and do a good turn every day.
The Beaver Scout Promise
I promise to do my best to be kind and helpful and to love God.
The Beaver Scout Law
There is no formal Beaver Scout Law. The concepts expressed in the Scout Law are to be presented to Beaver Scouts through games, storytelling and other informal activities.