I am delighted to inform you that I have appointed Paul Croker as the Group Scout Leader at 33rd Lancaster Scout Group. Paul will be known to you all, having grown up through the group before becoming an Assistant Scout Leader and then Explorer Scout Leader at Illustrious ESU. Building on the excellent work that Martyn Browitt and Steve Landles have done, Paul has been appointed for twelve months and will be assisted by Hazel Sharples, who will become Assistant Group Scout Leader, to help move the group forward.
In the coming weeks Paul, Hazel and I will meet to discuss the priorities for the group but I have asked them to initially focus on:
• Reviewing the training needs of all adults in the group, and support them through the appropriate training. Particularly supporting the new adult volunteers.
• Lead a recruitment drive for the Beaver Scout Section.
• Hold an open night to encourage greater parental involvement and fill vacancies in the sections.
• Hold regular Group Leaders meetings (separately from the Group Executive Committee)
• Review the group development plan.
I will be working with Paul and Hazel in the coming weeks to discuss ways in which the District can support in these areas.
33rd Lancaster is in a strong position, with opportunities to recruit more adults, grow membership and offer more opportunities to the young people in the area– I am excited about what the future holds and I’d like to remind you that the District are committed to supporting the group in any way that we can. Thank you for everything that you do for young people, Scouting and your community.
I hope to see many of you at the Full District Leaders meeting on the 2nd October at Our Lady’s Catholic College where these appointments will be announced to the District.