To: Members of Lonsdale District Scout Section
Group Scout Leaders
The District Team and District Executive
CC: County Commissioner, Assistant County Commissioner (Scouts)
Saturday, 01 September 2012
Re: The District Scout Section Team
At the end of May we began a search process to find a new Assistant District Commissioner (ADC) for the Scout Section. We are now in a position to announce a new ADC and a number of new District Leaders. Therefore I am writing to confirm some new appointments and the key priorities for the District Team which I am confident will improve the support we offer leaders and the 22 Scout Troops to develop and grow.
I am delighted that Paul Sargent has agreed to become our Assistant District Commissioner for Scouts. With over 20 years experience as a Scout Leader (and having previously served in this role) Paul is well qualified to lead our Scout Section. He will be supported by the following District Scout Leaders (DSLs):
– John Buckley (Continuing as a DSL)
– Mark Walker (Formerly ADC Scouts)
– Andrew Holland (16th Lancaster)
– Fiona Wetton (11th Morecambe)
– Scott Duncan (53rd Lancaster)
The new team have already met to discuss how they can better support the section and have been given troops that they will be responsible for supporting and liaising with. In addition to this, they have various ‘strategic’ responsibilities i.e to increase support for Chief Scout Gold Awards and to support new leaders. These responsibilities will be clarified at the next District Scout Leaders Meeting on the 3rd September at 7.30pm at District Headquarters where I hope you will show your support for the new team and that every troop will be represented.
Moving forward, I have asked the District Scout Leaders to focus on the following as a priority:
– Regular visits to Scout Troops
– A review of the events offered by the District Scout Section and produce a diary of events for 2012/13 (the programme review will take place on the 3rd September at the District Leaders Meeting, where all events will be discussed and new events may be added- its an open forum, so have your say!)
– Review the purpose and function of the Scout Leaders Meeting
– Support and Induction for new Scout Leaders
– Support membership growth within smaller sections.
In the meantime, I know you will join me in welcoming these five members to the District Team and wish them well in their new roles.
With Best Wishes,