Scouts Celebrate B-P’s Centenary
Morecambe Visitor July 1957
SCOUTS CELEBRATE CENTENARY
A MASSED gathering of between 400 and 500 Scouts and Cubs of the local Boy Scouts Association, and a dozen Girl Guides, on the Lancaster Road School Field on Saturday, marked the end of a week of celebrations of the Centenary.
Each Group had its own task to display the work of a Scout, Cub or Girl Guide, such as first aid, bridge building, backwoods camping, camp cooking etc., and the parents and friends were invited to see how things were done.
One particularly interesting display was performed by the 3rd Morecambe and Heysham Group. They erected a steel scaffolding tower representing a disused mine shaft. A youth had fallen into the shaft and had badly injured himself.
A party of men had discovered him and signalled across the field to their camp for help. The rescue party arrived, lifted the youth out of the shaft and attended him.
A pageant followed and traced the history of Scouting throughout the past 50 years from the first camp on Brownsea Island in 1908, to the World Jamboree at Warwickshire this year, with particular emphasis on the World Wide Brotherhood and their close alliance to the Arthurian Legend (Knights of the Round Table), by means of Scout Laws, courtesy, loyalty and service.
This pageant was devised by Mr. Ivan Limmer, assistant scoutmaster of the 3rd Morecambe and Heysham, who also commentated.