Skerton Harriers 1910
Unknown newspaper, October 29th, 1910
TEAM RACE AT SKERTON.
An invitation team race between Skerton, local champions, Sutton, Liverpool and district champions and Broughton, Manchester and district champions was run by invitation of Skerton Harriers at Lancaster on Saturday, before about 3,000 spectators. More than ordinary interest was taken in the fixture owing to the presence of about 100 boy scouts from the Lancaster detachments, who lined Skerton Bridge at the beginning of the race and the Ramparts at the finish, giving the runners a clear course. Before the race the scouts, whose smart and soldierly bearing provoked general admiration, were drawn up on the playground at the Skerton end of the bridge and ” inspected ” by the Mayor (Ald. Wilson) and Mr. Helme, M. P., with whom were Ald. Jackson , Mr. J. Turney, Mr. T. Ireland, Rev. A. S. Andrews, and other gentlemen. Mr. Wright, scoutmaster of the Sulyard-street Wesleyan troop, was in command and Mr. Harold F. Beeton, local secretary, was present. After the inspection a few kindly words of advice and commendation were spoken by the Mayor and Mr. Helme, both of whom spoke highly of the disciplinary value of the scout movement and its usefulness in training youths in those virtues which. for good citizenship. The Mayor, in an allusion to the ethical teaching of the scout movement, quoted Tennyson’s lines, “Kind hearts are more than coronets, and simple faith than Norman blood”.
See also “Inspection at Derby Road.”
Skerton was all ablaze with excitement on Saturday afternoon, when an invitation team race, promoted by the Skerton Harriers’ Club, took place. Three teams competed – Sutton (Liverpool and District champions), Broughton (Manchester and District champions), and Skerton (Lancaster and District champions). The weather was all that could be desired, and the attendance roughly estimated at about 3,000 was a striking proof of the popularity to which this healthy class of sport has attained.
BOY SCOUTS KEEP COURSE CLEAR.
A particularly interesting feature of the event was the presence of the seven local troops of boy scouts, about 100 strong, who were there for the purpose of keeping the course clear. It has always been a most irritating thing, in connection with local harriers’ runs, to find the spectators crowding the course, and one has frequently noticed that in consequence, not only have the runners been impeded, but only those few people who have been fortunate enough to force themselves to the front have been in a position to witness the finish. It is, therefore, all the more pleasing to record that the crowd on Saturday were “sporting” enough to fall in with the wishes of the promoters of the race, and though they could easily have rushed the scouts out of existence, so to speak, they kept their places in a good-humoured, sportsmanlike manner behind the frail barrier formed by the boy-soldiers and their staffs.
REVIEWED BY THE MAYOR.
The scouts, prior to the race, were reviewed by the Mayor (Alderman R. Wilson), and a goodly show they made in their picturesque costumes. Supporting his Worship were Alderman N. W. Helme, M.P., Councillor J. Turney, Councillor T. Ireland, Mr. H. F. Beeton (hon. secretary, Boy Scouts, Lancaster), Rev. F. W. Clayton, Mr. Gudgin, and other prominent local gentlemen.
From Log Book kept by R.E. Wright, 4th Lancaster