Appointment of a Group Scout Leader – 1st Carnforth Scout Group
I am delighted to inform you that I have appointed Ian McGrath as the new Group Scout Leader at 1st Carnforth Scout Group following an open nomination process. Ian, whilst new to the group, is not new to Scouting; after a long association with Preston District before moving to the area. I am excited by the many ideas that Ian has for the Scout Group which will build on the great work that has already been started.
1st Carnforth Scout Group has massive potential, to grow membership and make the programme even more exciting and adventurous, and of course, secure the future of the Scout Headquarters. To make the most of those opportunities I am also pleased to announce that Ian and I have agreed that Rebecca Parker be appointed as Assistant Group Scout Leader in addition to her new Scout Leader role. Chris Neill, the Group Chair, also wants to take a more active role in leading and developing the Scout Group, through his role he will lead the drive to re-build the Scout Headquarters, leading the fundraising efforts, raising the community profile and strengthening the work and membership of the Group Executive Committee.
Ian, Rebecca and Chris will form a new group management team that will meet to agree their individual roles and responsibilities in the coming weeks. At this point, we have agreed the following objectives:
- Review the training needs of all adults in the group, and support them through the appropriate training.
- Separate the Group Executive Committee and Group Leader Meetings and hold regular meetings.
- Hold an annual open night to encourage greater parental involvement and fill vacancies in the sections.
- With all adult members, create a Group Development Plan.
- The Group Executive to create a point by point strategy that will lead to the group’s new headquarters.
- Increase the number of Young Leaders in the group.
- Increase the number of nights away offered to young people.
- Ensure that all young people have the opportunity to achieve the respective Chief Scout Awards.
1st Carnforth Scout Group is in a strong position with opportunities to recruit more adults, grow your membership and offer more opportunities to the young people of Carnforth– I am excited about what the future holds and I’d like to remind you that the District are committed to supporting the group in any way that we can.
Finally, I’d like to thank Val Foster for her commitment to the Group Scout Leader role over the last ten years. Thankfully her skills and experience will not be lost, as she will initially be joining the Group Executive Committee whilst deciding what she will do next in Scouting.
Yours in Scouting,