Lancaster Guardian January 1940
With Troop, Pack And Crew
The 21st Lancaster (Bowerham C.C.) recently held their sixth birthday party when the guests were A.D.C. R. E. Wright, who presented badges and certificates won by the Cubs during the past year, and members of the 23rd Lancaster (Christ Church) Pack. All present had a very happy time and the catering was was carried out by Cubmasters Clark and Brash. Norman Corless was enrolled.
Considerable interest in all parts of the country has been aroused by the announcement of the opening of a Club for Scouts serving in the Forces and Civil Defence units. It will be particularly welcome news to those on leave or on duty in London, to those passing through London on their way overseas, and to Empire Scouts serving in H.M. Forces.
The Chief’s Room at Imperial headquarters, the address of which is 25, Buckingham Palace Road, London, is the General Club Room and this houses many valuable exhibits, awards and trophies associated with Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell.
A topical note is struck by the cabinet devoted to Scout War Service in 1914-1918. No less than 100,000 Scouts served in the Great War of whom 10,000 paid the supreme sacrifice and 11 were awarded the Victoria Cross for conspicuous bravery. The flag that flew over the famous Scout Hut at Etaples (open from January 1916 to November 1919) is now proudly displayed in the Chief’s Room, together with photos and the visitors’ book. There are also war service badges issued between 1914 and 1918.
It is fitting that the Chief’s Room, with so rich a store of treasures should now be the Club Room for a new Club for Scouts serving with H.M. Forces. Scouts visiting it will find there too, a complete record of Scouting from Brownsea Island and the beginning to the present day.
But the strength of the Room’s contact with Baden-Powell can be seen in a brave and tattered Union Jack in a glass case by the door. It is the flag that flew over Baden-Powell’s headquarters at Mafeking on Sundays between October 1899 and May 1900. A smaller flag was used on week-days so that the enemy would not locate the position. In those days there was no fighting on Sundays!