We provide fun, challenge and adventure to over 1450 young people in North Lancashire – #SkillsForLife
We provide fun, challenge and adventure to over 1450 young people in North Lancashire – #SkillsForLife

Morecambe Camp Fire 1948

The Visitor, October 27, 1948

ALTHOUGH their camp fire was artificial, there was nothing artificial about the rollicking, whole-hearted singing of Scouts and Guides who held a camp fire rally in St. Laurence’s School on Friday evening.

The camp fire was to have been held on the shore near the Baths but with a gale blowing the fuel for the fire would not have lasted long, so the event was transferred indoors.

This “Visitor” photograph (not copied) shows the Scouts and Guides in happy mood as they squat round the “camp fire,” which was an ingenious arrangement of logs and red paper with electric light bulbs beneath to give a fire-light effect.

Youthful voices sang with such gusto that the roof reverberated with the sound. The high spirits of the youngsters erupted into uproarious laughter at a burlesque presented by the Fifth Morecambe (St. John’s) Troop who could not have had an audience in more receptive mood.

There were cheers for Group Scout Master Driver of the Fourth Morecambe (Bare) Troop when he was presented with a badge and testimonial for 21 years’ loyal service to Scouting. District Commissioner R. E. Wright made the presentation,

Assistant District Commissioner S. J. W. Catterall opened the event, which was attended not only by all the Scout groups in the town but by Lancaster Scouts and by Girl Guides under District Commissioner Mrs. McCall. Campfire leader was Field Commissioner Winn.

Lonsdale Scouts