On the 1st September 2014, the District will launch a new District Scout Active Support Unit (SASU) which will be primarily focussed on providing active support to our two Activity Centres, Littledale and Silverhelme. The SASU will be an additional unit, and will be known as ‘Lonsdale Crew’ and will run separately from the current District SASU which will continue to provide active support to some of the administration in the District and in supporting events.
I have appointed Richard Woods to the role of crew co-ordinator and work now begins to recruit people to join the unit. Membership of the unit is open to anyone over the age of eighteen and we are looking for people who can support in any of the following ways:
• Provide support to events on either activity centre
• Provide maintenance support to either activity centre i.e. painting.
• Lead activities on either activity centre
• Help out on service team days/ weekends
• Act as a volunteer weekend warden, running the reception and shop at both centres in the absence of the substantive wardens.
• Meet and greet customers and show them around the site.
• Support the organisation of an annual fundraising event to benefit the activity centres.
• Provide specialist support to specific projects, either as a builder, joiner, electrician, etc.
• Support other projects as agreed by the Activity Centre Management Board.
This is an ideal role for people who wants to get involved in supporting Scouting but needs a flexible role to fit around their busy lives. There will be a small induction programme for members of the unit, and subject to satisfactory completion of the induction and a DBS check, members of the unit will be issued with a staff t-shirt, which will form part of their uniform for volunteering at both centres. The role that will appear on the membership record of unit members will be, ‘Scout Active Support Member.’ It is envisaged that there will be a healthy social aspect to the unit and we are looking to hear from people who are already members of Scouting and from potential new volunteers too.
To register your interest please contact Richard Woods on, email@example.com or 07872910286. Members of the new SASU unit, ‘Lonsdale Crew’ will be contacted at the beginning of September with details of the first gathering.
With Best Wishes,