Re: Vacancy: Deputy District Commissioner
Scouting provides young people with a better start in life. We are looking for an enthusiastic leader of people who can work alongside the District Commissioner and District Chairman to support the implementation of the District’s five year, strategic plan and support lasting change across Lonsdale District – ensuring that more young people benefit from Scouting.
A Summary of the Role:
Outline: To support the District Commissioner in the management of the Scout District to ensure it runs effectively and that Scouting within the District develops in accordance with the rules and policies of The Scout Association so that that the District provides good quality Scouting for young people and proactively supports and manages adults in the District.
Responsible to: The District Commissioner
Main contacts: County Commissioner, Group Scout Leaders, District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Scout
Active Support Managers, Assistant District Commissioners, members of the
District Executive Committee and its sub-committees, Local Training Manager, County Development Officer, members of the local community, schools and other youth organisations.
• Deputise for the District Commissioner at Scouting and Civic Events, attending and chairing meetings where appropriate.
• Ensure that the District thrives and has the best systems in place to support the Groups and Explorer Scout Units, to support all adult volunteers in the District and to develop Scouting in the District.
• Provide line management and support to the adults in the District that directly report to you
including setting objectives for their work and holding regular reviews and one-to-one meetings.
• Promote and support the vision for the District implementing the strategic plan to meet that vision.
• Ensure that Scouting in the District is attractive to young people and adults from all backgrounds
in the District.
• Ensure that problems within the District are resolved so that excellent Scouting is provided to
young people in the District.
We are looking for someone, over the age of eighteen, with the capacity to become an inspirational leader, who can motivate and support adult volunteers. The new Deputy District Commissioner will have excellent communication skills, and be able to lead a team and construct and implement long term plans. The Deputy District Commissioner will be responsible for the implementation of several strategic objectives; although these will be discussed at a later date, taking into account skills and experiences.
Nominations/ Self nominations should be made using the form before and sent to email@example.com no later than the 14th September.