Lancaster Guardian 02 July 1954:-
Scoutmaster gets Medal of Merit
FIRST camps away from home are always exciting adjuncts to troop room activities, and it is pleasing to hear that the 22nd Lancaster (Royal Albert Hospital) returned home recently after a week’s camping at Hazelwood, Silverdale.
Though the vagaries of the weather tried hard to damp the enthusiasm of the campers, the tentage was equal to the occasion. Having literally “wetted” their appetite under testing conditions, it speaks well for their enthusiasm that they are eager to go again.
Two patrols, the Owls and Peewits, 12 scouts in all, were under the charge of Scoutmaster G. D. Parsonage (a former 4th Lancaster Rover) who had Mr. D. Hough to assist him.
* George Dennis Parsonage born 29 Oct. 1920. In 1939 living at 18 Dundee Street, a Cotton Raiser in a Cotton mill.
Various Scouting activities were included in the programme and recreation took the form of cricket and football, and two camp fires were held.
The visitors included Dr. Cunningham (Medical Superintendent), Dr. Graham (Assistant Medical Superintendent), District Commissioner Mr. H. Todd, Assistant District Commissioners Mr. M. H. Sharpe, Mr. R. E. Wright and Scoutmaster J. Roscoe, of Silverdale.
MEDAL OF MERIT
The proud record of membership of the local association since 1926 has earned for Group Scoutmaster Frank R. Hayton, the award of the Medal of Merit. District Commissioner Mr. H. Todd asked Dr. J. A. Tomb, the LA chairman, to make the presentation at the recent executive committee meeting. Dr. Tomb paid tribute to Mr. Hayton’s outstanding service to the scout movement which is recorded on the certificate accompanying the medal.
Beginning as a Scout with the 13th Lancaster, Mr. Hayton has remained with the group throughout. Originally, it was registered with the Presbyterian Church in Queen Street, subsequently becoming an open group accommodated in Dallas Road and Church Street, moving to its present headquarters in Moor Lane two years ago.
Mr. Hayton, who was a King’s Scout holder, is a Wood Badge scouter, and has represented the local association at two international rallies – the Rover Moots in Sweden in 1935 and Scotland in 1939. He was a pioneer of the group’s first Rover Den at Littledale Hall in 1932, and the present one at Artleden, opened in 1934.
He recalls that on one occasion when the troop was at low ebb and without accommodation, they met at Mrs. Waterworth’s wash-house in Addle Street, Scotforth, increasing the roll from three to 14 scouts in 1932-33.
1939 Register: Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Waterworth, 11 Addle Street