Lancaster Gazette 6th September 1851
To be sold by Auction by Mr. John Burton at the King’s Arms Hotel in Lancaster on Thursday 9th October 1851 at 3 o’clock in the Afternoon.
The Elegant substantially built MANSION admirably situated within a very short distance on the South side of the County Town or Lancaster together with the Entrance Lodge, delightfully laid out, and well Timbered Grounds, choicely stocked Gardens and Orchards, Hothouses, Stables, Coach Houses, Yards, Farm Buildings, and Rice Park, Meadow and Pasture Land comprising altogether 47a. 23p. Statute Measure, known as “SPRINGFIELD HALL” late the residence of Henry Hargreaves Esq. since of Richard Godson Esq. Q.C. and now the property of Mrs. Godson.
Also a close of LAND near Springfield Hall now used as a Nursery Ground with Garden House erected thereon in the occupation of Mr. John Webster containing 1a. 2r. 0p.suitable for building purposes.
Written in 1900.
On the south-west side of Springfield Park between the Infirmary and Ripley Hospital is Springfield Hall, it is a very substantial, good-looking building and was erected by Mr. James Hargreaves about 1792. When Mr. Hargreaves died he was succeeded at Springfield Hall by his son Henry who was residing here in 1824. He was a sort of character in Lancaster, he owned property in the West Indies and lived for a number of years at Springfield Hall until his death about 1838 when it went to a relative Mr. Godson MP for Kidderminster who lived at the Hall for a few years after which it was occupied by Mr. S. E. Bolden and then by Mrs. Ripley.
Also see: Scouts Great Day at Springfield