We provide fun, challenge and adventure to over 1150 young people in North Lancashire – #SkillsForLife
We provide fun, challenge and adventure to over 1150 young people in North Lancashire – #SkillsForLife

Acquisition of SilverHelme

District records show that the land on The Row, Silverdale was purchased on 30 May 1963 from the personal representatives of Robert Christopher Walker deceased. (OS maps indicate an original acreage of 18.457)

NLS OS Map published 1913

The Walker family were long term farmers in the Silverdale/Warton area. In the national censuses they are recorded in 1881 living at Hazel Wood Farm House, Silverdale; in 1891 at Brow Foot, Yealand Redmayne; in 1901 at Cinderbarrow; and in 1911 at Yealand Hall. They appear in the Voters Lists for 1921 & 1925 at Low Hyning Farm.

Robert Christopher Walker was born 13 April 1876 in Silverdale a son of William Walker and Alice nee Holmes. He married Sarah Jane Gorst in 1912 at St. Oswald’s Church, Warton. In 1931 they were recorded living at Green Wood Farm and in 1939 at Green Close, Silverdale where Robert is listed as a Farmer.

William Walker was born in 1843 at Silverdale a son of Joseph Walker and Eleanor nee Greenwood. William also farmed at Green Farm and Hazel Wood (1881).

Joseph was born in 1809, (d.1886), a son of Christopher Walker (1750-1832). In the 1851 census Joseph is farming 30 acres at The Green, Silverdale. He is still there in 1861, 1871, and 1881.

Robert’s daughter Gladys Annie was born in 1913 and married firstly James Eric Burrow in 1934 and secondly Sidney Walker in 1952, both marriages taking place at St. John’s, Silverdale. 

Robert died 19 November 1957 at Green Close Silverdale. Probate of his Will was granted to his daughter Gladys. It was she, presumably, who was involved with the land sale in 1963.

Acquisition of SilverHelme Notes by Alan Hague 1997