Lancaster Guardian 16 June 1950
Eighteenth Barrow (Grammar School), last year’s runners-up, with 100 per cent. marks, won the challenge cup given by the residents of Scorton in 1947 for the best camp site at the 8th annual North West Lancashire County Scout Cycle Rally at Scorton on Saturday and Sunday.
16th Barrow (St. Mary of Furness), last year’s winners were placed second with 87½ per cent., and 3rd Blackpool Seniors, who won the trophy in 1947, were third with 85 per cent. Troop Leader A. McArthur received the cup on behalf of the winners from Mr. J. Dodds Drummond, the County Commissioner.
The camp sites were again accommodated in fields at Cliftons Farm over a mile through the village, lent by Mr. R. Thompson, and were inspected by Messrs. C. A. Winn (Field Commissioner), T. Gregson (Assistant County Commissioner for Field Training) and H. Todd (District Commissioner, Lancaster). Other officers attending the rally, which was favoured by ideal weather, were Messrs. E. W. Bowtell (Assistant County Commissioner Rovers), L. Heys (District Commissioner, Blackpool), R. Penketh (Assistant Deputy Camp Chief), K. Stanley (County Secretary), N. Musgrave, R. E. Wright, L. Wright, A. Pilling, F. H. Wilson, W. Fazackerley (Assistant District Commissioners), and Miss M. Lloyd, Blackpool.
About 300 Scouts from Preston, Lancaster, Morecambe, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Barrow, Lytham-St. Annes, Bispham, Poulton, Thornton, Carleton, Garstang, and Broughton attended the rally which included a “camp-fire” concert in the village Public Hall on Saturday night when a film of last year’s rally was shown by Mr. Fazackerley, who along with Mr. Penketh compered the “show.” Those taking part included George Weston (accordianist), Dan and Roy McCarthy, Preston (duets) and G. Butters, Lancaster (soloist). On Sunday morning there were parades to St. Peter’s Parish Church, and S.S. Mary and James R.C. Church. 1st Broughton were flag bearers.
The Rev. A. B. Dex, Vicar of St. Thomas’s, Garstang, conduced the service at the Parish Church, and referred to the loss the Scout Movement had sustained by the recent death of the Vicar, the Rev. E. Jackson, who was largely responsible for the inception of the Scorton rally. The County Commissioner read the lesson. The service at the Roman Catholic Church was conducted by the Rector, the Rev. Fr. Whiteside. Sports on Sunday afternoon were supervised by Mr. Musgrave, and Scoutmaster C. Robinson, Garstang, assisted by scouters of the 3rd Blackpool.
The arrangements for the rally, which was one of the most successful of the series, were carried out by a committee of the North West Lancashire County Scout Council, with the County Commissioner as chairman assisted by the 13th Lancaster Rover Crew.