Lancaster Guardian 17 July 1953
SEA SCOUTS ON THE LAND.
Sea Scouts were ashore at the annual cycle rally of the North West Lancashire County Scouts’ Council at Scorton. Here are the 5th Lancaster Sea Scouts with members of the 12th Lancaster Scouts joining in an eagerly-awaited meal on their arrival at camp.
The 16th and 23rd Lancaster troops look tired, but happy, as they arrive in camp.
Lancashire Evening Post 14 July 1953:
200 Scouts at Scorton rally
Nearly 200 Scouts attended the annual cycle rally of the North-West Lancashire County Scout Council, at Scorton, during the weekend. The Scorton Challenge Cup, awarded this year to the best all-round sports team, instead of for the best campsite, as in previous years, was won by 16th Barrow (St. Mary’s), 5th Lancaster (Cathedral) were runners up.
The cup, competed for first in 1947, and provided by Scorton villagers, was presented to Patrol Leader J. E. Kyle, on behalf of the winning troop, by Mr. J. Dodds Drummond, County Commissioner.
Forty-six sites on a camping ground near the Woodacre railway crossing, lent by Major T. Shepherd Cross, of Barnacre Lodge, and Mr. G. Whittaker, the tenant farmer, including a “bivi” of sticks and bracken made by the 3rd Blackpool seniors, were occupied by boys from Preston, Lancaster, Morecambe, Hornby, Barrow, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Lytham St. Annes, Bispham, Fulwood, Lostock hall, Penwortham, Garstang, lea and Woodplumpton.
On Saturday night, there was a “get together” camp fire concert at Scorton Public Hall, compered by Mr. W. Hargreaves, D.S.M., Preston.
There were parades and services at Scorton Parish Church and Scorton R.C. Church, on Sunday morning, conducted by the vicar the Rev. E. J. Ward, and the Rev. Fr. B. A. Whiteside, parish priest. The lessons at the Parish Church were read by Mr. H. Todd, District Commissioner for South Lonsdale and Garstang (who, with Messrs. T. Gregson, Assistant County Commissioner for Training; E. W. Bowtell, D.C., Blackpool, M. H. Sharpe, A.D.C., Lancaster; and C. Winn, Field Commissioner, organised the rally), and the County Commissioner.
The sites were inspected by Messrs. T. Gregson, C. Winn, W. Hargreaves and M. H. Sharpe, and Messrs. E Harper, A.D.C., Lytham, G. Buck, S.M. Kirkham and P. Brearley, A.D.C., Blackpool, assisted with the sports programme, which included tug-of-war, cycle, skipping and chariot races and collecting wood, boiling a pint of water and making tea in the shortest time.
Other officers attending the rally, included Lieut. Colonel R. Ord, D.C., Preston, Misses M. Lloyd, Akela Leader, Blackpool, J. V. Beck, A.D.C. Cubs, Lancaster, B. Dent, A.D.C. Cubs, Fleetwood, and Mr. W. Fazackerley, A.D.C., Preston.