Lancaster Guardian 23 November 1956
Scouting notes and news
The 2nd Silverdale scouts entertained visitors from Lancaster at Bleasdale House. The first duty of the visitors, District Commissioner Mr. Hector Todd, Assistant District Commissioner R. E. Wright, Scoutmaster (senior) Mr. Maurice Sharpe, and Cubmaster Miss J. V. Beck, was to inspect the troop, the scouts looking very smart in their blue and white. Four scouts were invested, two to the owl and two to the eagle patrol.
Their Scoutmaster, Mr. F. Roscoe was presented with his warrant and Matron received the registration certificate from the District Commissioner. Thereafter, fun and games followed to the delight of the scouts who contributed many items themselves and added to their repertoire to several new numbers taught by Scoutmaster Sharpe and Miss Beck. A yarn was given by the Assistant District Commissioner.
Afterwards supper was served. It is on the records in a log book at Bleasdale House that this was one of the highlights of the evening. One distinguished visitor who shall be nameless found his portion particularly appetising -as indeed he must when he flavoured it with orange juice in mistake for gravy!