Lancaster Guardian 25 November 1955:-
Sulyard St. win Scouts Shield
The 4th Lancaster (Sulyard Street) Troop won the Lancaster and District Boy Scouts City Shield Competition last Saturday with the 1st Halton troop close runners up.
Seven patrols took part in this annual competition with 42 boys parading in Dallas road before moving off by various routes to Carr House Lane Playing fields. There they were judged in camp layout and other scouting activities by District Commissioner T. S. Watson and Mr. A. Mortimer, both of the Morecambe, Heysham and District Boy Scouts’ Association.
After a tea in the Dallas Road School the scouts were further tested in observation. First aid tests were taken by Superintendent J. E. Clifton of the Lancaster Division of the St. John Ambulance Brigade.
Games and a campfire “get-together” ended the day.
Dr. J. A. Tomb, chairman of the Lancaster and District Association, introduced Dr. G. M. Kay who presented the shield to the 4th Lancaster troop.
A pennant for the best camp layout was awarded to the Royal Albert Hospital troop.
The competition was organized by a small committee comprising Mr. R. Ackerman, Mr. J. Gardner and Mr. F. Hayton.